[BioC] GO graph plotting with some in color

Loren Engrav engrav at u.washington.edu
Tue Nov 27 02:07:36 CET 2007

Cool, thank you

After 11 days
I can read in the data and have the graph
That is a rather expensive graph I would say :)

> nAttrs = list()
> colors  <-  scan(file="339colorsRowBB.txt", what="character")
Read 339 items
> names(colors)  <-  scan(file="339namesRowBB.txt", what="character")
Read 339 items
> nAttrs$fillcolor  <- colors
> nAttrs$color  <-  colors

> bpCutLeaves <- scan(file="339namesRowBB.txt", what = "character")
Read 339 items
> bpCutLeavestree <- GOGraph(bpCutLeaves, GOBPPARENTS)
> postscript ("bpCutLeavestree.ps", width=100, height = 100, paper="special");
plot (bpCutLeavestree, nodeAttrs=nAttrs); dev.off()
postscript
         2

Graph is up at <http://homepage.mac.com/engrav/Menu9.html> and hit arrow on
FileSharing

Now I have 3 questions please

1) the code above reads in two files, one for colors and one for names; that
seems rather grade school, is there not a more efficient way, like with one
file

2) in the graph the colored and therefore "significant" nodes have no
incoming edges from other colored and "significant" nodes; is it possible
that none of the 339 "significant" nodes have a parent within the 339?

3) and finally, What do I have?  We are getting enrichment from DAVID and
Amigo as they are lots more user friendly than Bioconductor. But they fail
at plotting so I tried Bioconductor.  The resultant graph shows red and blue
sprinkled here and there but so what?

I found a manuscript with an almost identical graph with credits to
Bioconductor.  See Journal of Molecular Endocrinology (2006) 37, 301­316.  I
checked their conclusions from the graph and found them rather skimpy.

What is the conclusion from the graph? Or is it just a pretty graph?  But it
was fun, by the way.

Again thank you for helping.  I am grateful.

Loren Engrav
Univ Wash
Seattle, WA USA