[BioC] Oneclass SAM analysis

Jianping Jin jjin at email.unc.edu
Fri Jan 5 19:31:58 CET 2007

I installed the SAM v.2.23A on a machine with the Windows XP OS and have
never observed what you described. A problem I ever ran into was memory
overflow. I am not a statistician, but I doubt there are any statistical
reasons for preference of odd number of samples in one class test.

Jianping

--On Friday, January 05, 2007 11:30 AM -0600 "Brooke-Powell, Elizabeth"
<etbp2 at borcim.wustl.edu> wrote:

> Actually I tested it. I had 12 slides worth of data, and tried to run SAM
> and it choked, so I went and tried with only 3 slides which worked and
> slowly increased the numbers of columns by one each time up to 12. Every
> time I had an even number of slides it choked and every time I had an odd
> number of columns; at least up to 11; it worked fine.
>
> I have what is the latest version according to the SAM website, but it
> was a curious problem and wondered if there was a
> mathematical/statistical reason as to why even numbers of columns don't
> work. From experimental design aspects it is better to have a balanced
> design with an even number of hybridizations.
>
> Liz

##################################
Jianping Jin Ph.D.
Bioinformatics scientist