[BioC] OSX binary graphviz, binary Rgraphviz install problems

Bobby Prill rprill at jhu.edu
Fri Feb 2 19:05:41 CET 2007

I followed the advice I gleaned from reading previous postings and
attempted to install binary packages of both graphviz and Rgraphviz
as described in this post:
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/bioconductor/2007-January/015621.html

I am running:

PowerPC
OSX 10.4.8
R Version 2.2.1  (2005-12-20 r36812)
Bioconductor Biobase Version 1.8.0

I installed:

Graphviz 2.8 binary obtained from http://r.research.att.com/
This installed:
	dot,neato,more in /usr/local/bin
	various files in /usr/local/lib/graphviz
	libagraph.pc,libcdt.pc,more in /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig

I tested the "dot" command on the command line - it worked - made a
nice graph.

Rgraphviz 1.8.1 binary obtained by
R> source("http://www.bioconductor.org/getBioC.R")
R> getBioC("Rgraphviz")

This installed Rgraphviz 1.8.0

Error when I load the library:
R> library("Rgraphviz")
Error in dyn.load(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now)) :
         unable to load shared library '/Library/Frameworks/
R.framework/Resources/library/Rgraphviz/libs/Rgraphviz.so':
   dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/Rgraphviz/
libs/Rgraphviz.so, 6): Symbol not found: _agedgeattr
   Referenced from: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/
Rgraphviz/libs/Rgraphviz.so
   Expected in: flat namespace
Error: .onLoad failed in 'loadNamespace' for 'Rgraphviz'
Error: package/namespace load failed for 'Rgraphviz'

I searched the web to find a solution to the problem: Symbol not
found: _agedgeattr.  This didn't turn up much.  I have also tried
compiling Rgraphviz without success probably due to an inadequate
understanding of the --configure-args='--with-graphviz= parameters.
I prefer not to compile anything if I can avoid it - already spent
many days attempting this.

Can someone provide me with a binary Rgraphviz.tgz that will work
with graphviz 2.8?  Or provide any advice?  Thanks in advance.

- Bobby