[BioC] over-representation of specific transcription factors in gene lists

Mark W Kimpel mwkimpel at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 00:09:46 CEST 2007

I have a list of about 300 rat genes that are differentially expressed
in an experiment. Irrespective of what transcription factors (TFs) are
in my list, I would like to test to see if any of the known TFs in the
affy chipset I am using (rat2302) are over-represented in the promotor
regions of my list of sig. genes.

This seems very similar to what we go with analysis for GO category
over-representation, without the parent-child complication of the GO
structure, but with the 1 TF: many genes issue.

It seems that what is needed is an annotation package with a list that
contains all the genes with all the TF's associated with each gene. A
Google search reveals several proprietary databases with this type of
information but one then has to use a proprietary tool to access. Is
there anything in BioC or some other open-source repository to address
my need? Remember, I am working with rat genes. I have seen some stuff
for human and mouse, but not for rat.

Thanks,
Mark

Mark W. Kimpel MD  ** Neuroinformatics ** Dept. of Psychiatry
Indiana University School of Medicine

15032 Hunter Court, Westfield, IN  46074

(317) 490-5129 Work, & Mobile & VoiceMail
(317) 663-0513 Home (no voice mail please)