[BioC] AveExp" column has dissappeared from limma topTable

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Thu Apr 5 09:11:51 CEST 2007

Hi Amy,

"Mikhail, Amy" <a.mikhail at abdn.ac.uk> writes:
> Thanks for your reply, just tried subsetting without exprs() and it
> returned a sub-setted exprSet, as you said... So just wondering, when
> does one actually need to use exprs() and when can I get away without
> it?

Many Bioconductor packages have methods defined for ExpressionSet
objects and for these, you don't need to extract the matrix using
exprs().  Whenever you have a function that expects a matrix as its
argument and not an ExpressionSet object, then you use exprs().

> Also, what is the difference between an exprSet and an
> ExpressionSet?

exprSet and ExpressionSet are both classes used to represent
microarray data.  exprSet is now deprecated in favor of ExpressionSet.

+ seth

--
Seth Falcon | Computational Biology | Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
http://bioconductor.org