[BioC] question about using bioconductor vignettes

Michael Janis mjanis at chem.ucla.edu
Tue May 24 03:17:52 CEST 2005

Hello,

I have a question about using vignettes as instructional material.  I am a
bioinformatics graduate student at UCLA and lead a summer seminar series on
practical bioinformatics (tools and implementations).  This summer I am
preparing a course reader in the form of an O'Reilly Safari U. book
(https://www.safariu.com/) - mainly a concatenation of various texts,
published by O'Reilly, that satisfy the needs of this summer seminar series.
I'd like very much to have permission to include several vignettes from the
bioconductor website in this material - the material, although in the form
of a "book" from O'Reilly printed sources, will remain private and only
accessible to enrolled students for this seminar series at UCLA.
Furthermore, all authors for all works within this reader will be cited, as
would be bioconductor and vignette authors, with an addendum specifying that
current version information can be found on the bioconductor website.

I copy below, from the bioconductor website, the policy for using
bioconductor vignettes for instructional purposes.  I write today to ask,
given the private nature of this course reader material, if I may include
bioconductor vignettes in the final printed form.  I would gladly accept any
conditions you may request.  In past offerings of this seminar series, I
have found the vignettes to hold significant teaching value.  Indeed, the
vignettes were my own portal to effective use of bioconductor.  I would very
much like to offer enrolled students a comprehensive set of materials for
this summer's seminar offering.

Thank you for your consideration,

Michael Janis
Ph.D. Student, Bioinformatics, UCLA

Using the vignettes: You are welcome to use these materials for
instructional purposes. However, you may not include these in separately
published works (articles, books, websites).When using all or parts of the
Bioconductor course materials (slides, vignettes, scripts) we would
appreciate it if you would cite the authors and refer your audience to the
Bioconductor website