[BioC] alternate /tmp for Bioconductor install

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Mon May 23 16:19:18 CEST 2005

Hi Marcus,

"Marcus Davy" <MDavy at hortresearch.co.nz> writes:

> The following lookup in R may also be useful as an alternative to
> lookup from the
> http://www.bioconductor.org/packages/bioc/stable/src/contrib/html/
> url.  You can obtain a list of dependancies (and more).
>
> a <- CRAN.packages(CRAN=getOption("BIOC"))

Yes, that's a good way to get detail on packages available in the
Bioconductor repositories.

> This list should be querying the current release packages of
> Biocondcutor 1.6. Can somebody verify that?

Actually, it depends...  If you are running an R that installes source
packages (a unix-like R), then yes, you will get a listing of the Bioc
1.6 packages.

OTOH, if you are running an R that wants binary packages by default
(Windows R, some OSX R), then the listing you will get depends on the
version of R you have --- this is a good thing because Bioconductor
releases are designed for a particular version of R.  We hope to have
this automatic selection working for source packages in the next
release.

Best,

+ seth