[BioC] Affy 1.5.8 functions not working on Mac OS X 10.3

Chad Wayne cwayne at bcm.tmc.edu
Tue Jan 25 18:35:24 CET 2005

I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.

> On Jan 24, 2005, at 12:55 PM, Chad Wayne wrote:
>
>> It was recommended that I post this problem to the mailing list. I am
>> unable to get affy to work, e.g. the library loads into R, but the
>> functions don't seem to work. I was hoping someone may have seen this
>> problem before and may have a solution. I am working in the correct
>> working directory.
>>
>> I am using version v2.0.1 of R with the default Bioconductor package
>> installed. Current package of Affy is 1.5.8. I am using Mac OS X
>> 10.3.7 and running X11 (X11 1.0 - XFree86 4.3.0). This is a shared
>> environment and all packages were installed in the top library, not
>> in the User library.
>>
>> On prompt:
>> > load("/nnn/nnn/nnn/timecourse.RData")
>
>> > library(affy)
>
> So, if you go
>   search()
> at this point you should get something like:
> > search()
>  [1] ".GlobalEnv"         "package:affy"       "package:reposTools"
>  [4] "package:Biobase"    "package:tools"      "package:methods"
>  [7] "package:stats"      "package:graphics"   "package:grDevices"
> [10] "package:utils"      "package:datasets"   "Autoloads"
> [13] "package:base"
>
> The important things are for affy and Biobase to be there (at least
> given what you are saying below)

I loaded affy and did the search as you suggested:

 > library(affy)
 > search()
  [1] ".GlobalEnv"         "package:affy"       "package:reposTools"
  [4] "package:Biobase"    "package:tools"      "package:methods"
  [7] "package:stats"      "package:graphics"   "package:grDevices"
[10] "package:utils"      "package:datasets"   "Autoloads"
[13] "package:base"

Appears to be there along with biobase.

>> > ReadAffy(widget=T)
>> Error: couldn't find function "ReadAffy"
>> > ReadAffy()
>> Error: couldn't find function "ReadAffy"
>> > pData(eset)
>> Error: couldn't find function "pData"
>>

> You can also try something like
> ls("package:affy")
>
> which should show about 116 things (mostly functions) and one should
> be ReadAffy.

I also performed the ls("package:affy") and retrieved 116 items. I
attempted again to try the ReadAffy function and it failed.

> If not, then the installation is not correct. Are you sure they have
> global read permission etc on the R library directory and all
> contents? Have you checked to see if there are any files
> in those directories?

Do I need to go to terminal to change the permissions or is there a
nice simple way to check permissions and change them accordingly if
that is the problem. Sorry that this appears so dense, but I haven't
quite got the hang of the unix side of OsX yet.

Thanks again,

Chad.