[BioC] Database for Microarray Data - request for user stories

jon butchar butchar.2 at osu.edu
Mon Dec 5 14:09:14 CET 2005

On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 21:26:17 +0100
"Ido M. Tamir" <tamir at imp.univie.ac.at> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I hope you don't consider this question completely off topic.
> (I didn't find a thread on this in the archive)
>
> How are your experiences with some of the publicly available
> database systems for microarray data (including commercial ones)?
>
> I don't want to roll my own unless I have to.
>
> Did you create your own and why?
>
> <snip specific examples>

Our setup is almost certainly simpler than what you're after but I created our own here using FreeBSD, PostgreSQL, PHP and Apache.  Why?  When something goes wrong (and things have, wow...), I know exactly where to look and what to change in order to fix it.  Also it's completely, completely customizable from the ground up.  Finally, cost was a small issue at the time; we hadn't yet put in the grant application but still needed to move forward.

If you've got some good computer folks there (e.g., not just a bumbling biologist like me), they'll easily be able to whip up a first-rate, solid setup wrapped around your specific needs.  Maybe you could even work it as a project for undergrad students in a database programming class?

hth,

jon b