[BioC] Citation of R, Bioconductor and Affy

Robert Gentleman rgentlem at jimmy.harvard.edu
Tue Oct 5 17:18:54 CEST 2004

Thanks for both asking and citing the software. Please substitute the
Genome Biology paper (we need to update the FAQ) as a citation for
Bioconductor. Otherwise, it looks correct to me.....although Rafael
may have a better indication for affy.

 I would also like to mention that as of R 2.0.0 the citation function
 should report appropriate citations for R and all packages can create
 their own citation entry (check the man page). Users are encouraged
 to appropriately cite the software that they use.

 Robert

On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 05:00:03PM +0200, Jordi Altirriba Gutiérrez wrote:
> Dear users,
> I'm preparing a manuscript which includes the use of R, Bioconductor and the
> Affy package.
> The citations that I have found are:
> 1.- R
> R: Development core team (2004). R: A language and enviroment for
> statistical computing. R foundation for statistical computing. Vienna,
> Austria. http://www.r-project.org
> 2.- Bioconductor
> Ihaka R and Gentleman R. R: A Language for Data Analysis and Graphics}.
> Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics. 1996 (5)3:299-314.
> 3.- Affy package
> Rafael. A. Irizarry, Benjamin M. Bolstad, Francois Collin, Leslie M. Cope,
> Bridget Hobbs and Terence P. Speed (2003), Summaries of Affymetrix GeneChip
> probe level data Nucleic Acids Research 31(4):e15
>
> Or I should citate any other reference? Such as:
> Bioconductor: open software development for computational biology and
> bioinformatics
> Robert C Gentleman , Vincent J Carey , Douglas M Bates , Ben Bolstad ,
> Marcel Dettling , Sandrine Dudoit , Byron Ellis, Laurent Gautier, Yongchao
> Ge, Jeff Gentry, Kurt Hornik, Torsten Hothorn, Wolfgang Huber, Stefano
> Iacus, Rafael Irizarry, Friedrich Leisch, Cheng Li, Martin Maechler, Anthony
> J Rossini, Gunther Sawitzki, Colin Smith, Gordon Smyth, Luke Tierney, Jean
> YH Yang and Jianhua Zhang
> Genome Biology 2004, 5:R80
>
> Thank you for your time.
>

> Jordi Altirriba
> PhD student
> Hospital Clinic - Barcelona - Spain

| Robert Gentleman                 phone : (617) 632-5250                   |
| Associate Professor              fax:   (617)  632-2444                   |
| Department of Biostatistics      office: M1B20                            |
| Harvard School of Public Health  email: rgentlem at jimmy.harvard.edu        |