[BioC] Re: Bioconductor Digest, Vol 21, Issue 12

Gordon Smyth smyth at wehi.edu.au
Fri Nov 12 13:22:35 CET 2004

You are reading the Limma User's Guide written for Bioconductor Release
1.4. Could I encourage you to consider the moving onto Bioconductor 1.5?
Even without upgrading your software, you could read a more recent User's
Guide at http://bioinf.wehi.edu.au/limma/usersguide.pdf. Section 10 might
help, especially section 10.5.

> [...]
>all cases the reference was Cy3.  Therefore, a targets file to describe
>this experiment can reasonably be expected to look like this:
>
>    SlideNumber     Cy5 Cy3
>1           c1 Control Ref
>2           c2 Control Ref
>3           c3 Control Ref
>4           c4 Control Ref
>5           c5 Control Ref
>6           c6 Control Ref
>7           c7 Control Ref
>8           c8 Control Ref
>9           k1   ApoAI Ref
>10          k2   ApoAI Ref
>11          k3   ApoAI Ref
>12          k4   ApoAI Ref
>13          k5   ApoAI Ref
>14          k6   ApoAI Ref
>15          k7   ApoAI Ref
>16          k8   ApoAI Ref
>
>If we run modelMatrix() on this, we get this:
>
>    ApoAI Control
>1      0       1
>2      0       1
>3      0       1
>4      0       1
>5      0       1
>6      0       1
>7      0       1
>8      0       1
>9      1       0
>10     1       0
>11     1       0
>12     1       0
>13     1       0
>14     1       0
>15     1       0
>16     1       0
>
>If we then carry on the example in 7.3, and create a contrasts matrix,
>then I assume we are interested in the comparison of ApoAI knockout mice
>to Control mice, so I run:
>
> > makeContrasts(ApoAI-Control, levels=apoai.design)
>
>And get this
>
>         ApoAI - Control
>ApoAI                 1
>Control              -1
>
>So, just to take a breath here, I am using the documentation from
>section 7.3 to run against the data in section 8.2.  I now have a design
>matrix and a contrasts matrix for the ApoAI data.  The only problem is
>that they look completely different to the example design matrix given
>in section 8.2.  The design matrix there is:
>
>    Control-Ref KO-Control
>c1           1          0
>c2           1          0
>c3           1          0
>c4           1          0
>c5           1          0
>c6           1          0
>c7           1          0
>c8           1          0
>k1           1          1
>k2           1          1
>k3           1          1
>k4           1          1
>k5           1          1
>k6           1          1
>k7           1          1
>k8           1          1
>
>And there is no contrasts matrix.
>
>So, my question 2: is the design matrix given in section 8.2 the
>equivalent of using the design and contrasts matrices that I calculated

Yes it is. This has been said many, many times on this list.

Do you know how to multiply a vector by a matrix? If you do, then I think
the best way to figure out what the design matrix is doing for you is just
to sit down with a piece of paper and a pencil for a few minutes, and
multiply the design matrix by the coefficient vector.

Gordon