[BioC] affy segmentation fault

Sucheta Tripathy sutripa at vbi.vt.edu
Wed Nov 10 00:51:17 CET 2004

At 04:59 PM 11/9/2004 -0500, Robert Gentleman wrote:
>On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 04:46:03PM -0500, Sucheta Tripathy wrote:
> >
> > I know we have been cluttering this mailing list with this question over
> > and again. The reason I want to ask again is after seeing the segmentation
> > fault error, I found it says 340000 KB to be the size it needs.
> >
> > What puzzles me is our memory is way beyond that(almost 5 GB with 10 GB
> > swap memory).
>
>   And as I have said very many times already, it likely has nothing to
>   do with that, but rather that you have a corrupted installation. You
>   almost surely need to recompile R with the correct set of compiler
>   flags for your system and to reinstall the the appropriate
>   packages. I am not sure how I can say this more explicitly, but the
>   problem does not seem to be affy, it seems to be your installation.

I guess at this point if any body else who has done installation and
compilation with any other flag, shares the flags they have used, I will
really appreciate that. After digging through the installation instruction,
I don't find anything other than

$ ./configure
      $ make

with may be a option to prefix path.(where R binaries and libraries should go).

Probably I need help from someone who can point where to find a more
detailed installation help. I have been also looking at file config.site,
and most of the default options look fine to me.

If it is just the case of R being corrupted,is no big deal provided we know
what flags we are using to compile next.

-Sucheta