[BioC] qvalues, sam, limma

Gordon Smyth smyth at wehi.edu.au
Thu Jun 10 02:00:17 CEST 2004

At 07:16 AM 10/06/2004, Naomi Altman wrote:
>I have an Affy experiment with a very high level of differential
>expression.  It is a one-way ANOVA with 6 treatments, 2 replicates per
>treatment.
>
>We ran both SAM (excel version) and limma, and had very good agreement
>between them in terms of ranking the genes by the test statistic.  For any
>set of the top K genes, over 90% of the genes were identified by both routines.

As you've found here, the p-values from limma are intended to rank genes,
and a general guide of significance, rather than to be believed as absolute
p-values. (I've taken every opportunity to point this out on this list, in
talks, and in published papers. See for example Section 7 of
http://www.statsci.org/smyth/pubs/mareview.pdf.)

Generally speaking, the p-values returned by limma tend to be too small.
This is because the conjugate normal model being fitted is not exactly
correct, most notably because the log-intensity measures are almost
invariably more heavy tailed than normal.

To convert ranked p-values into meaningful measures of false discovery
rates is far from trivial. SAM uses a re-sampling approach, which of course
depends on a particular set of assumptions and approximations. The approach
which I take in my own analyses is to estimate the false discovery rate
using known-null contrasts and specially designed control spots. This
approach has not yet been incorporated publicly available software, but I
hope it will in the future.

I don't fully believe any estimator of false discovery rate that I have yet
seen, as they don't consistently return believable results on real data sets.

Best
Gordon