[BioC] normalization and analysis of connected designs

Gordon Smyth smyth at wehi.edu.au
Thu Jul 3 14:27:55 MEST 2003

Dear Ramon,

I am with you. The direct comparison design you describe is a very sensible
type of design which is intended to compare RNA samples using within-spot
comparisons, i.e., log-ratios or M-values. The limma package in
Bioconductor is specifically designed to analyse experiments of this type.
You're quite correct that you do need a connect design in order to compare
all the RNA types in this way.

Wolfgang is arguing for what in my lab we call a 'single-channel analysis'.
The main proponents of single-channel analysis in the literature are Rus
Wolfinger at SAS and Gary Churchhill at the Jax lab. As far as I am aware
there is no software in Bioconductor designed to do single-channel analysis
of cDNA arrays. We (I mean here Jean, Sandrine who wrote the marray
packages and I) don't yet provide single-channel software because we
consider it to be an experimental methodology whose validity is still be
established. Normalization of single-channel data in particular is
something that we are still trying to do a satisfactory job of. The only
discussion of single-channel normalization for cDNA data that I am aware of
in the literature is Yang and Thorne, see below.

Wolfinger and Churchhill fit mixed linear models in which a spot is a
random effect. One then has multiple error strata corresponding to spots,
to individual channel intensities within spots and perhaps to arrays as
well. There are certainly cases where one can get more information out of
this approach than analysing arrays entirely using log-ratios.
Statistically, the method consists of using random effects to recover
information from the between-spot error strata. The real problem is to know
when it is valid to take this approach and when it is not.

I may have misinterpreted Wolfgang, but he does seem to be proposing a even
more radical approach in which the spot error strata is ignored entirely.
(I think that is only way one could get the calculation that the D-A
variance is reduced by a third.) This is more radical than anything I've
seen in the literature, and I don't personally think it would be a good
approach for cDNA microarray data.

Regards
Gordon

Yang, Y. H., and Thorne, N. P. (2003). Normalization for two-color cDNA
microarray data. In: D. R. Goldstein (ed.), Science and Statistics: A
Festschrift for Terry Speed, IMS Lecture Notes - Monograph Series, Volume
40, pp. 403-418.