[BioC] rowsing

Chad Shaw cashaw at bcm.tmc.edu
Thu Dec 18 18:02:39 MET 2003

Naomi:

ok. so I got carried away trying to be a rabble rowser:

I misread something you said..about avoiding FDR stuff.

You were actually saying that you avoid the statistical selection
schemes when making gene lists...
on account of they didn't work so well (less correlated than just using
means/fold changes).

and i think this comment is ....a warning sign, too...not for you, but
for all of us in the community.
Estimating single gene variances is hard and frought with peril.

The thing to do is to borrow strength from BIOLOGICALLY RELATED genes.

cashaw