[BioC] affy cel + cdf files content

Robert Gentleman rgentlem@jimmy.harvard.edu
Mon, 1 Jul 2002 09:52:04 -0400

On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 02:39:31PM +0200, Laurent Gautier wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 08:23:07AM +0200, julien.sylvestre@wotan.ens.fr wrote:
> > This message is not directly related to Bioconductor yet I hope it might be of general interest for users...
> >
> > The first line of an Affymetrix Yg_s98 yeast chip .cel file looks like this
> > X	Y	MEAN	STDV	NPIXELS
> > 0	0	232	45	36
> > I read about 100 pixels were used whereas it seems that no more than 36 are used here.
> > How is the svd calculated ?

  The mean is actually the 75th percentile. I believe that the STDV is
 actually the standard deviation (as defined in any stats book). Both
 are based on the pixels used as I recall. But in all cases, one
 really has to refer to Affymetrix documentation. This is generally
 supplied when you buy chips and or a machine. Some of it is available
 on their website www.affymetrix.com.

   Robert